Sunday 4 May 2014

Kirstie Simson ID London Dec 2013

Interview with Kirstie Simson: The sensuous journey through life and dance

1.      What is the aim, outline and focus of the Winter Laboratory Workshop?
 I asked Adam Benjamin if he would teach the Winter Laboratory Festival with me because I like the fact that our teaching of Improvisation is so totally different, and yet despite this our fundamental principles about the form are coherent. I think this makes it interesting for the students to study different approaches without hopefully feeling too much confusion or discord between the morning and afternoon sessions. 

2.      What is the method that you used for delivering your knowledge?
I have developed a way of working with improvisation over the course of my practice over the past 32 years. It is based on my own interest in the field of dance improvisation, which is the practice of 'freedom' and the challenged of teaching this subject. I continually question myself about how much 'form' to give students, in order to support and facilitate their own investigation and discovery of freedom in movement. I try to give a foundation of technique that will ground them in their own exploration. I also attempt to create a safe space in which students feel supported to make their own discoveries, and in which they are unafraid of sharing and expressing themselves in their work. I have honed my skills of teaching for some time now and yet it is very difficult to say exactly how I do this. Perhaps it is through the extensive work I have done on myself through my own practice, and the tremendous love I have for this form of expression that I am able to transmit the knowledge I have to students without imposing too much of my own perspective onto them - thereby giving them the space to make their own discoveries, so ultimately they can use this knowledge as a helpful tool in their own practices.  

3.      How have you arrived to the theories that you shared throughout the workshop?
I arrived at the theories I shared in the workshop through my love of this form of dance. When you love something a lot, you take great care of it. You pay enormous attention to what you are doing, and make sure you keep it alive. This is what I have done for 32 years. I also find that I have been able to incorporate all of the learning about life from as long as I can remember into my work. I have always been fascinated to find out everything I can about life, what it is, what we humans are and why we are here. All of this learning is incorporated in my work. For me it has always been a life-practice, and apposed to an art-practice. I don't differentiate between the two. This is why I have been interested in improvisation as a process of discovery, as apposed to set choreography that is perfected and performed for an audience. The process of improvisation is the process of living - of continually moving beyond what we already know. This is what makes the work ultimately exciting. I try to share this passion with students through my work. 

4. What is the center or the source of you practice?
 The center or source of my practice is the human experience, and because the work for me is about coming together with others, and is a form of non-verbal communication, the practice of deep listening and quiet is central to what I do. You cannot listen or hear clearly if you are agitated and distracted. In order to be able to listen and feel deeply, you have to discover a way to become calm, relaxed and extraordinarily focused. Then everything begins to fall into place and the communication, the dance between the people working happens by itself and the participants are listening to the communication/dance as it emerges. It is like a form of magic. If you get too caught up in 'making it happen' you lose the calm quiet focus and become almost distracted by all the action - then it's difficult to hear the music/dance/communication. So it's a very quiet act of balance that is quite extraordinary and yet simple and profound. Very human.

5. How does your practice relate to the environment or to the Earth? In your opinion how do we perceive/ encounter the world around us and how does this idea affect your practice?
My work cannot take place in isolation. It is all about exploring one's relationship with the environment. For instance lying on the earth and feeling the force of gravity and the expanding force of the universe as it works through our bodies. It's not something you can consciously feel, but I have found that continuing to practice awareness of these physical fields and forces and dancing with them, my body has changed dramatically over the years. It has become softer and more fluid, more resonant and malleable, more open and vulnerable and more adaptable, as I consciously appreciate and focus on the forces that create our physical world and experience. Then I find nothing is as I think it is, but there is a different kind of knowing that I can sense which is hard to articulate. It is like a soft resonance of happiness, or contentment, or physical ease and grace that is with me always. This is the interplay of my being in connection with everything, not separate and differentiated. For me this is central to dancing and being happiness which is something I have discovered through freedom in movement with others. It is a rich embodiment of knowledge that is at once hidden and yet known. Again a kind of magic that makes me tremendously grateful for life and dancing. 

6. What is your conclusion after the Winter Laboratory workshop?

 I felt very content after the Winter Laboratory workshop. The group was very harmonious and responsive to my work. By the end of the week I felt that everyone had been enriched through our experience together and this made me feel good about the week. Of course I can never know fully how much people have learned or gleaned from the experience, but I have great faith that if the group truly comes together in an open learning environment that is free and joyful, then each individual will have done the learning they need to do at this particular junction in their lives and then I am happy. I went away feeling this had been accomplished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment