Sunday 6 February 2011

Skinner Releasing Technique

     Skinner Releasing Technique


    1. Select 2 images from the classes and write a couple of sentences about how they felt/associations/reflections/meaningful to you.


One of the most exciting images that I tried to play with is represented by the marionette strings. We started with the idea of allowing someone to apply at the head the strings, that gave me the sensation of a floating skull, with no tension in the neck tissues. The strings were also attached by our arms and knees and this is how a nice improvisation started. I started to explore my natural reactions and paths, fact that defines me as a dancer. I found useful playing with the idea of cutting of my strings, and this is when I could feel all my muscles released, and then I “attached “again the strings, fact that pushed me again into moving very free and easy.
During my improvisation I found moments when my ribcage was lifted or some muscles were still tensed, but I think that being aware of my own body is an important part of the process.

Another image that really helped me to release my body tension was the hammock. This object offer a floating sensation, I could feel the air around myself coming in contact with the edges of my body. The hammock is hanging in the air and it allows me to sink into it, to melt down to the earth, and the air also takes the form of my body and this is how the natural movement begins!

2. Write 3 sentences on any ideas from SRT that may apply to your movement practice and your body story.

The first thing that can be applied to my body story is the breath. SRT classes made me realize how I can create movement by breathing and how different it looks! Observing my own breath let me find my “body rhythm” and to be aware also of the body-mind connection.

One of the most important effects of SRT classes on myself is starting to reduce a part of my constraints. Letting everything go, muscles and thoughts, helped me to throw outside the dance studio my daily problems and anxiety. Sometimes I found moments when I was completely still, just thinking about my own body and breath, nothing else, just living the momentum. This helps me to focus just on my body movement.


I think about a comparison: dance-real life, and this classes gave me so many similarities and opposites. When I think just about myself and nothing else I can dance free, I'm more easy like a bird! This is how I prepare myself to be ready to interpret new images and creative ideas.
In real life, when I take out of my mind all problems, I am more happy and I also feel free, I feel open to new experiences and coming in contact with people around me!



Oana Rotariu
Dance, Theater and Professional Practice
8.02.2011

No comments:

Post a Comment