Sunday 13 March 2011

Herbert Art Gallery & Museum



Today, Ioana and me decided to visit the Herbert Art Gallery because we wanted to find out more about Egyptian culture, myths and secrets. We could observe about 200 original objects, including a giant statue of Ramsses II, a rare sculpture of Queen Nefertiti and a preserved mummy of a young woman called Perenbast. The Egyptian legends tell us that every human has a physical body and a spirit, called "ka"- life force that ebdurs even after death. This "ka" should be maintained even after the physical death, so all intern organs were places in big recipients, in the tomb, and the body was fold in wet bandages, and then dried, so the body shape and size remain the same. The reason of this process was to make sure that the body will meet the "ka" to achieve the eternal life.



While observing  the real mummy one small idea dropped into my soul and head, that could help me for my IPP presentation. As my grand- grand mother was a unique human being, her wonderful traits deserve to be conserved and I admit that some of them are present in myself as well. It's interesting to observe how the traits are inherited generation after generation and the feeling when I find similarities between myself and my ancestors.
Tomorrow I'm going in the studio trying to express some of them and see what happens in my moving body as result of these emotions about my grand-grand mother. I would like as well to record some specific sounds and to make a projection of that picture on the wall during my solo.

References:
http://egyptmanchester.wordpress.com;
www.wikipedia.com;

No comments:

Post a Comment