Saturday 23 June 2012

Gemma's Research questions

Writing provides a handle for me to grip onto the complexities of practice and making.  Page spaces provide me with a place for reflection, gleaning and meaning making.  A space in which my dancing body can digest and find language in the imagery, narrative and thought processes which come with a dancing experience. Looking back over my first encounters with pages, drawing and writing intersect in order to word the happenings of a studio endeavour.  I notice description, notation dropping away, and the first flushes of imagination and expression seeping through my reflective accounts.  Now my writing provides a toolbox for research, practice and making.  It shifts, carries, supports and makes sense of the physical, emotional and cognitive reactions of a body as it acknowledges its presence and interaction with the world.

My reply:

Writing does play an interesting role in my life actually if I really think about it a bit deeper.
I hope you are ok with this little story of myself ... A few years ago, when I quit my latin and ballroom practice ( which was my love and passion at that point) I started writing poems !? I still have the book... I think writing those things down on some old comunist and yellow paper pages helped me overcome this massive crush..of not expressing myself anymore by using movemement, stepts, techniques etc... so at that piont it used to be another way of expressing myself and even of releasing my black and red thoughts that were inside me...now my writing actually tries to capture relevant moments of my movement, tries to reflect my emotional, sensorial and physical experience that I am having in a certain moment andwithin  certain space. It also keeps my memories alive and my writing also acts now as a resource for creating movement. I think it has a lot of roles in my life actually...it also communicates , it's like a network! I still think it needs to happen for longer!

1 comment:

  1. little piece of freewriting from one random day:

    what do I leave behind?
    being
    breathing
    pathway river
    inside
    around
    listening
    wind pushing me
    following...fluid
    pulse...shock
    powerful sky
    emotions

    ReplyDelete